Mike Pence will not appeal to a federal court ruling to testify in a special committee investigating efforts by Donald Trump and his allies to subvert the 2020 election, a spokesman for the former vice president said Wednesday, highlighting the historic moment for both. on a special investigation plan and for the presidency.
Deniers was sworn to answer for the first time leading direct talks with Trump until January 6, 2021, when Trump urged him to unsuccessfully interfere with the outcome of the 2020 election and possibly act corruptly, according to sources who explained to the judge. of reign
The date for the grand jury appearance has not yet been announced.
The former vice president never complied with a criminal investigation subpoena to testify about the actions of the then-president, putting Pence in a position to define the powers of the former office.
Pence’s apparent plan to provide special information to Councilor Jack Smith comes as he explores a possible challenge to Trump for the Republican presidential nomination in 2024.
Smith tracked the interactions most top Trump administration advisers had with the then-president, but locking in Pence’s testimony would give one of the most serious accounts investigators have seen, given Trump’s heated one-on-one phone calls with Pence before the outbreak. and how supporters of President Trump threatened to attack the Capitol.
The recent ruling, Chief Judge James Boasberg of the US District Court in Washington DC, allowed Pence to testify about the conversations he had with Trump before the US Capitol riot.
The judge said that the former vice president could still answer questions related to his actions on January 6, when the president of the senate will vote for the certification of the 2020 presidential election, according to one of the military sources.
For Pence and his team, I received a carveout of the critical court. They argued to the court that the Constitution’s Speculation or Debate Clause, which protects lawyers from certain activities connected with legislative duties, prohibits them from being forced to answer questions about certain actions that investigators are looking at.
“Vice President Mike Pence swore to protect and defend the Constitution, and claimed that Biden’s special subpoena was an unconstitutional word or clause that was important to preserving the Separation of Powers outlined by our founders.” Pence spokesman Devin O’Malley said in a statement Wednesday.
“Convincing that principle of the Constitution, Vice President Pence will not appeal to a ruling Judge and subpoena as required by law,” O’Malley said.
“To me, the process of challenging the subpoena of the vice president in the role of president of the Senate was an important constitutional argument,” Pence told reporters in late March. “For the first time ever, a federal court has recognized these protections for a president.”
The current testimony is likely to elicit a strong reaction from Trump, who has tried to prevent Pence from appearing before a grand jury, asserting executive privilege over the former vice president’s testimony.
The team’s legal team could still appeal the latest, sealed ruling from the district court rejecting its efforts to stop Pence from testifying about the interviews, citing executive privilege. There is no public indication that Trump’s team has been called to rule.
The former president has lost every executive privilege he has tried to challenge in the investigation so far.
This story has been updated with additional details.